Chester Zoo Events Contract
Includes Terms & Conditions
The following Terms and conditions are the basis of the contract with Chester Zoo and you.
If you want to book your event date and enter into a contract with Chester Zoo you must pay the full deposit. If you do not pay the full deposit by the notified date Chester Zoo shall be entitled to release your chosen date at our absolute discretion, without informing you and without liability.
If you wish to confirm your booking for your forthcoming event at Chester Zoo please sign both copies of the Terms and Conditions and return both copies to Chester Zoo Events Team with the requested deposit.
On receipt of the signed agreement Chester Zoo will countersign a copy and return it to you as confirmation that your event is booked.
By signing this agreement you agree to the content and are bound by the ‘Terms and Conditions’ listed within this document.
- The ‘Client’ means the person as named on the signature page and with whom the contract is signed.
- The Client accepts responsibility for any damage caused to the venue during their hire period.
- Chester Zoo does not accept any responsibility whatsoever for any loss (including theft) of any property or any damage sustained by or to such persons or property except where the same is proven to have arisen out of Chester Zoo’s servant’s or agent’s negligence. The Client is advised to take out insurance in respect of any such losses. In particular Chester Zoo will not be held responsible for any property left unattended in function/meeting/VIP rooms, bar areas, corridors, WC’s or exterior terrace areas.
- All licensing and statutory regulations to which Chester Zoo is subject, including those relating to fire precautions and entertainment, must be strictly observed by the Client at all times.
- Any clerical, typographical or other error or omission in any sales literature, quotation, price list and acceptance offer, invoice or other documentation/information issued by Chester Zoo shall be subjected to correction without any liability on the part of Chester Zoo.
- All prices quoted are inclusive of VAT, unless otherwise stated, and may be subject to alteration without prior notice.
- The Client agrees to pay the price in accordance with these terms in consideration for which Chester Zoo agrees to provide the service specified in these terms and the written ‘Event Information’ between the Client and Chester Zoo.
- For the avoidance of any doubt, the price does not include the cost of the person who conducts your wedding ceremony (whether religious or civil) and responsibility for ordering and for that service rests solely with the Client.
3.0 Deposit/payment schedule:
- Chester Zoo requests deposits of £500 for large events and £250 for small events. Chester Zoo will determine which size the Clients event falls into.
- This deposit is non-transferable and non-refundable.
- 25% of the event value will be paid 7 months prior to the event date
- 50% of the total balance will be paid 6 months prior to the event date
- 75% of the total balance will be paid 8 weeks prior to the event date
- 100% of the total balance will be paid 4 weeks prior to the event date
4.0 Oakfield House Hire Rates
- For weddings and large events taking place on Friday, Saturday & Sundays the whole of Oakfield House must be hired at a cost of £2,450.00.
- For weddings and large events taking place Monday - Thursday the whole of Oakfield House must be hired at a cost of £1,950.00.
- The minimum number of evening guests attending any event will be 60.
- For smaller events room hire charges will be applicable for all rooms hired.
- Half day room hire rates are applicable in blocks of four hours between 8.30am & 12.30pm or 1.00pm and 5.00pm.
- Full day room hire rates are applicable for use of rooms outside half day booking times.
- Day delegate charges include the room hire rate for the room used.
5.0 Minimum/Maximum Number of Guests
- The Client will be required to provide provisional numbers at the time of booking.
- Ceremonies: 70 maximum Library
40 Maximum Boardroom
- Daytime Guest Minimum: Subject to room hired or exclusive use charges.
- Daytime Wedding Breakfast Maximum: 60 Library
- Daytime Informal/Split Rooms Maximum: 140
- Evening Minimum: 60 Guests
- Evening Maximum: Subject to capacity of rooms hired or 140 Whole House Use.
- Lecture Hall Maximum: 160 fixed seating (includes 2 disabled spaces)
- Zoo Wide Events: Subject to separate quotation and terms agreed.
6.0 Lecture Theatre
- The lecture theatre is a separate building on Chester Zoo’s premises with its own car parking facilities.
- For events taking place in the lecture theatre half day, full day or evening hire rates shall apply.
- Half day rates are applicable from 8.30am – 12.30pm and 1.00pm to 5.00pm
- Full day rates are applicable 8.30am – 5.00pm
- Evening rates are applicable after 5.00pm
- Parking spaces are restricted to 68 cars.
7.0 Food & Alcohol Catering
- Chester Zoo has the exclusive rights to provide refreshments consisting of food, liqueurs and other beverages at your event. Items of this nature cannot be brought onto site.
- No food or alcohol can be brought into events/functions for consumption by the Client without written permission of Chester Zoo.
- If corkage is permitted please be aware that corkage rates will be charged. Any bottles not consumed will be returned to the Client but the corkage fee is non- refundable.
- Corkage Rate 750ml bottle £15
- Corkage Rate Champagne £18
- Corkage Rate Magnum £30
- All evening guests will be catered for and charged for in full.
- Children will be charged for at full adult rate unless prior agreement has been obtained in writing.
- All wedding breakfasts must be from one set menu.
- Special dietary requirements can be catered for with prior arrangement.
- The booking confirmation outlines your event details including guest numbers, reserved rooms and estimated timings.
- 8 weeks prior to the event the Client must provide Chester Zoo with the final running order and all special dietary requirements.
- 4 weeks prior to the event the Client must provide Chester Zoo with updated numbers for catering purposes. Please note that you will be charged for the numbers provided at this time. (Numbers can increase until 72 hours prior to the event provided catering/safari guide requirements can be accommodated and they do not exceed maximum room capacities).
- Table Plans must be received no later than 7 days before the function with dietary requirements clearly marked.
8.0 Cancellation by Chester Zoo
- Chester Zoo can cancel the booking without obligation to the Client if:
- Oakfield House or any part of the Zoo is closed due to fire, flood, accident, act of war, industrial dispute, act of God, essential maintenance work by order of any public authority, or otherwise through any reason beyond Chester Zoo’s control.
- If the Client fails to make the required deposit or final payment on the due date.
- If the Client is more than 30 days in arrears with any payment to Chester Zoo.
- If the Client becomes insolvent or enters into liquidation or receivership.
- If the event might prejudice the reputation of Chester Zoo.
9.0 Cancellation by the Client
- In the unfortunate circumstances that you have to cancel, postpone or reduce your confirmed booking at any time prior to the event, Chester Zoo’s cancellation policy is that the Client shall pay the following percentages of the event cost:
- From 12 months to 6 months prior to the event 50% of the estimated function costs
- From 6 months to 3 months prior to the event 75% of the estimated function costs
- From 3 months to 4 weeks prior to the event 90% of the estimated function costs
- From 4 weeks prior to the event 100% of the estimated function costs
- All deposit payments are non-refundable.
10.0 Safari and BBQ’s
- The routes chosen for safaris are not fixed and are subject to change for animal welfare reasons and other factors. Whilst Chester Zoo will always consider requests to pass a favourite animal enclosure it is not always possible to guarantee – as a conservation charity with animals at the heart of everything Chester Zoo does we appreciate your understanding.
11.0 Client Use of Chester Zoo’s Oakfield House
- Along with Chester Zoo’s Terms and Conditions the Client must also complete and sign Chester Zoo’s Security Agreement and abide by the rules laid out.
- The Client must ensure that guests abide by all rules laid down by Chester Zoo and that no electrical equipment or other works including lighting, amplification or potentially dangerous or hazardous items are brought onto Chester Zoo’s grounds, without Chester Zoo’s prior consent.
- The Client must also ensure that the use of balloons, ball games, Frisbee’s or other small parts that may be thrown or kicked into animal enclosures are not brought onto Chester Zoo’s grounds.
- The Client, if inviting outside entertainment or contractors, must provide a copy of their public liability insurance together with a current portable electrical appliance test certificate at least 4 weeks before the function.
- Chester Zoo reserves the right to refuse entry onto the premises of any outside entertainment or contractor who has not provided the required documents as laid out above.
- The Client must not fix any material of any kind to floors, walls or ceilings without prior written consent from Chester Zoo.
- Any candles used on tables must be in approved suitable fireproof holders and not left unattended.
- Venue dressing/undressing is the responsibility of the Client and must take place within the timescales agreed by Chester Zoo taking into consideration any other booked events.
- The Client undertakes to be responsible for any damage to goods or property at Chester Zoo made by guests arising from the function.
- The Client is responsible for ensuing all guests behave in a reasonable manner.
- The Client must treat our staff and agents with respect and courtesy.
- The Client is responsible for providing accurate information and checking details thoroughly before making final payment.
- All Clients ‘belongings’ must be removed from Chester Zoo’s premises by 9.30am the following day.
- All event programmes/itinerary details and request for amendments must be made and confirmed in writing.
- Only bio-degradable confetti is to be used during the weddings.
- Music, live or recorded, inclusive of terrace music (string quartet etc) must be within volume levels agreed by Chester Zoo.
- The use of fireworks and Chinese lanterns anywhere on Chester Zoo’s premises is prohibited.
- Smoking is prohibited everywhere on Chester Zoo’s premises except for the designated ‘external smoking areas’ which can be identified by asking a member of Chester Zoo’s staff.
- In respect of local residents Chester Zoo requests that all guests arriving and leaving Chester Zoo’s premises do so as quietly as possible.
- Evening functions will conclude at midnight prompt. No extension will be granted.
- Safari guidelines will be issued prior to the event and persons found not following Chester Zoo’s guidelines will be removed from site.
- Should unruly behaviour become apparent Chester Zoo reserves the right to terminate the event. No refund will be given in these circumstances.
- Oakfield House is a Grade II listed building set in large zoological gardens and as such there are a number of characteristics of Chester Zoo which may not suit all those with restricted mobility. Responsibility for choosing Chester Zoo as being suitable for your event and for use by your guests rests solely with the Client and Chester Zoo strongly recommends that the Client inspects the premises before they book. Chester Zoo makes no statement or warranties as to the suitability of the venue for the Clients particular requirements and shall not be liable to the Client or any of the Clients guests if the premises turn out to be unsuitable for their event.
- Vehicle access inside Chester Zoo’s grounds will only be granted with prior consent (usually before 10am or with staff accompaniment during Chester Zoo’s opening hours).
- Numbers of parking spaces must be booked in advance with Chester Zoo’s Events Team early in the planning process and spaces are restricted to 60 cars.
- All vehicles are parked at the owners’ risk and Chester Zoo cannot accept responsibility in respect of loss or damage.
- Prior consent must be obtained from Chester Zoo for any vehicles remaining on Chester Zoo’s grounds overnight and must be collected by 10am the following morning.
- Due to limited turning space for larger vehicles coaches/buses may be required to drop guests off at the Events car park entrance.
14. Additional Marquees for Events
- Marquees can only be booked through Chester Zoo Events Office.
- A 25% non-refundable deposit of the total cost of the marquee is required at the time of booking.
- Outstanding marquee costs will be paid in line with Chester Zoo’s event payment schedule.
- No amplified music will be permitted within the marquee.
- No contract shall exist between the Client and Chester Zoo until this agreement is signed by both parties. No variations of these conditions shall be effective unless confirmed in writing and agreed by both parties.
- If any condition within this agreement is found to be valid or unenforceable this shall not affect the remaining conditions of this agreement.