Chester Zoo named best zoo in the UK in TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice Attractions Awards
Chester Zoo also rated fourth best zoo in Europe and seventh in the world, according to millions of traveller reviews and opinions
Chester Zoo has today been named as the best rated zoo in the UK in the Travellers’ Choice™ awards for Zoos, announced by TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site.
The Cheshire zoo, which is home to over 12,500 animals of over 450 species set in 125 acres of zoological gardens, is also named fourth best rated zoo in Europe and seventh in the world. It’s the second year in a row that the zoo has topped the UK list and appeared in both Europe’s and the world’s best.
Jamie Christon, managing director at Chester Zoo, said:
We’re thrilled that the public have named us as the UK’s best zoo for the second year running.
Every person that walks through our gates helps us to support hugely important worldwide conservation efforts which are working to protect endangered species and educate people about the threats that so many animals and plants face. As a charity, we rely on visitors to enable us to keep on carrying out more and more of this work, so our thanks go to all who come here and supported us.
Chester Zoo is constantly raising the bar to ensure visitors have a very memorable day out. Indeed we’ve just unveiled phase one of a new £40m development, Islands, which will be a real game-changer for zoos in the UK. Islands provides visitors with a truly unique and immersive experience – we have captured the sounds, the smells, the colours and hustle and bustle of far-flung islands from South East Asia and brought them to the Cheshire countryside. It’s a zoo experience like no other and we hope it’ll further enhance our standing as being one of the world’s best.
TripAdvisor spokesperson, James Kay, added:
These awards are based on the millions of reviews and opinions written by our global community of travellers and with the schools breaking up for summer in a matter of days, these winners should serve as great inspiration for a fantastic family day out.
The annual Travellers’ Choice awards for zoos are based on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travellers across the globe. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for zoos worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.
10 best rated zoos in the UK
1. Chester Zoo, Chester, Cheshire
2. Colchester Zoo, Colchester, Essex
3. Blackpool Zoo, Blackpool, Lancashire
4. Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens, Burford, Oxfordshire
5. Folly Farm Adventure Park and Zoo, Begelly, South Wales
6. Paignton Zoo, Paignton, Devon
7. Durrell Wildlife Park, Trinity, Jersey
8. Drusillas Park, Berwick, East Sussex
9. ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, Dunstable, Bedfordshire
10. Axe Valley Wildlife Park, Axminster, Devon
10 best rated zoos in Europe
1. Loro Parque, Puerto de la Cruz, Spain
2. Prague Zoo, Prague, Czech Republic
3. Tiergarten Schoenbrunn - Zoo Vienna, Vienna, Austria
4. Chester Zoo, Chester, United Kingdom
5. ZooParc de Beauval, Aignan, France
6. Colchester Zoo, Colchester, United Kingdom
7. Bioparc Valencia, Valencia, Spain
8. Zoologischer Garten (Berlin Zoo), Berlin, Germany
9. Novosibirsk Zoo, Novosibirsk, Russia
10. Blackpool Zoo, Blackpool, United Kingdom
10 best rated zoos in the world
1. San Diego Zoo, San Diego, United States
2. Loro Parque, Puerto de la Cruz, Spain
3. Singapore Zoo, Singapore
4. Prague Zoo, Prague, Czech Republic
5. Tiergarten Schoenbrunn – Zoo, Vienna, Austria
6. Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha, United States
7. Chester Zoo, Chester, United Kingdom
8. St. Louis Zoo, Saint Louis, United States
9. Zoological Wildlife Foundation, Miami, United States
10. ZooParc de Beauval, Saint Aignan, France
A complete list of winners from the 2015 Travellers’ Choice Zoos and Aquariums, as well as reviews and candid traveller photos can be