[VIDEO] How to build a bat box
Follow our instructions for your Wildlife Connections Bat Box kit.
- Your Bat Box kit!
- A hammer or screwdriver
- Nails or screws
- An extra pair of hands
All you need to do is…
- Attach the 2 small narrow pieces across each end of the back of the longest wide piece.
- Turn over the wide piece and attach the 2x2cm (40cm long) pieces down the edges (keeping one end of each at the edge).
- Attach the 40cm long wide piece on top so that there’s a 2cm gap between the 2 wide pieces.
- Repeat this with the shorter pieces, making a 1.5cm gap between the wide pieces this time.
- Attach the final wide piece at right angles to the rest to make a roof (you might need a hand with this bit!).
To put up your bat box…
- Fix your bat box as high as possible on a wall, tree or building.
- A good spot should: be sheltered from the wind, catch the sun for part of the day and have a clear area around it so it's easy for bats to fly in and out.
Download a PDF of this guide
What to do next
Now that you've made your garden more bat-friendly it's really important to us that you let us know using this form (you can upload a photo too).
Record your action
By keeping track of where amazing people like you are creating wildlife friendly spaces we can see the impact we're having.
And don't forget to keep recording the wildlife you see in your local area here: www.chesterzoo.org/record