[VIDEO] How to build a bird box
Follow our instructions for your Wildlife Connections Bird Box kit.
- Your Bird Box kit!
- A hammer
- A screwdriver
All you need to do is…
- From the rear of the back (without the groove) nail it to the two sides.
- Position the base between the two sides and the back then nail it into place.
- Fit the front panel to the front! Don’t forget to check that the sloping top is in line with the base. Nail it into place.
- Slide the roof into the groove at the back and screw it down into the front panel. Be careful, make sure you don’t miss the wood underneath!
To put up your bird box…
- Find a nice sheltered spot - make sure the entrance hole of your nest box is protected from winds, rain and direct sunlight. We don’t want our feathered friends getting wet!
- Get your ladder out - small holed nest boxes are best put at heights of 1.5 to 3m. If you can’t find a suitable tree, the sides of sheds and houses make good spots. Be careful if using a ladder!
- Keep it safe from intruders - make sure that it’s not easily accessible for cats or squirrels!
Download a PDF of this guide
What to do next
Now that you've made your local area more bird-friendly it's really important to us that you let us know using this form (you can upload a photo too).
Record your action
By keeping track of where amazing people like you are creating wildlife friendly spaces we can see the impact we're having.
And don't forget to keep recording the wildlife you see in your local area here: www.chesterzoo.org/record