[VIDEO] How to build a hedgehog house
Follow our simple instructions to build a hedgehog house.
- A big cardboard box
- Stanley knife
- An old carrier bag or bin bag
- Dry leaves, straw or shredded paper
- Twigs and branches
All you need to do is…
- Cut air vents in the box using the knife (approx. 5x15cm).
- Cut a hedgehog sized entrance (about 15x15cm).
- Find a sheltered spot near a fence/hedge and place the box with the entrance facing south.
- Put torn newspaper, clean dry grass, leaves or straw inside.
- Cover the top of the box with an opened up old carrier bag or bin bag.
- Put twigs, dry grass and leaves on top to hide.
- Wait to see if a hedgehog visits!
Download a PDF of this guide
What to do next
Now that you've made your garden more hedgehog-friendly it's really important to us that you let us know using this form (you can upload a photo too).
Record your action
By keeping track of where amazing people like you are creating wildlife friendly spaces we can see the impact we're having.
And don't forget to keep recording the wildlife you see in your local area here: www.chesterzoo.org/record