Could you be part of Chester Zoo’s first ever Youth Board?
We are looking for young people aged 18 – 25 years to help shape our future direction and help us develop our appeal to teenagers and young adults.
Our Youth Board will work with our Board of Trustees and our executive team, including our Directors, to develop the zoo’s approach to working with young people. They will meet as a Board 6 times per year and may also take part in a number of other projects and initiatives to support the development of our programmes. This will include acting as an advocate for the zoo and our work, and working with consultation groups of young people to develop new activities.
The Youth Board will provide recommendations to the trustees and staff about the best ways to engage with young people, this might include how to market to young people, developing ideas for events and projects, supporting digital innovation or helping us develop new products and services. We want to listen to your ideas and work together to make Chester Zoo’s programmes for young people the best they can be.
We’re looking for young people from a variety of backgrounds. No previous experience of the zoo is necessary.
To be eligible to be part of the Chester Zoo Youth Board you need to:
- Be between 18 to 25 years old (inclusive)
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Want to share your ideas and experience with Chester Zoo
- Be keen to support the zoo to develop a new programme for 12-25 year olds that will engage them with wildlife and empower them to take action in support of our mission of preventing extinction
- Live within 60 minutes travel time of Chester Zoo
- Be willing and able to attend 6 Youth Board meetings at the zoo each year. Youth Board meetings will take place on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the year, although occasional attendance on other days may be required and a flexible approach is needed.
- Commit to being part of the Youth Board for a minimum of two years from appointment or until your 26th birthday if that is sooner.
- Not be an existing member of zoo staff.
This is a voluntary position and Youth Board members will not receive any payment. However, reasonable travel expenses will be paid.
All Youth Board members will have access to training and mentoring from the zoo’s senior team to help them develop their leadership skills and in their role as Youth Board members.