One day beginners photography course
Develop your photography skills under the expert guidance of two acclaimed photographers in the wonderful setting of Chester Zoo.
This full day photography course is designed for photography beginners. You will be led through the course by our two fantastic tutors, Sue Flood and Cindy Miller Hopkins who come with a wealth of skill and experience (see biographies below).
The course will be held at The Oakfield in the heart of Chester Zoo. Refreshments and lunch will also be provided, and there will be plenty of time spent in the zoo photographing our collection of animals and wildlife.
- Digital basics and beyond: This class covers an introduction to digital cameras, point and shoot camera basics, as well as tips for iPhone & iPad users. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned shooter, you’re sure to pick up some new information. Learn why you should format memory cards and setting camera quality from Cindy. Find out the truth about megapixels, the differences in memory cards, how to make your camera shoot accurately through glass, proper use of flash, and even some troubleshooting tips for what to do when things go wrong.
- People or NO People? … That’s the question: Whether you’re somebody who prefers to have friends & family in ever shot or you’d rather keep your photos people-free, Cindy will help you to better understand when and how to include (or exclude), people from your photos. She will pass along handy tips when dealing with crowded venues, the best angles for photographing people, and much more!
- Holiday photos worth framing: Our holiday photos are some of our most precious images. As a full-time professional travel photographer, Cindy will teach you the dos and don’ts of getting the best holiday shots ever! This workshop will offer advice on shooting in adverse conditions, how to tell a story with your photos, unconventional use of flash, and shooting images with a “sense of place.”
- Practical training in the zoo: Once you’ve been through all the training, you can put your skills to the test around the zoo, guided by Sue who will be on hand to give you any tips!
Terms and conditions
- Any dietary requirements must be advised.
- Regrettably, participants under the age of 16 will not be able to take part in the workshop. This workshop is not suitable for pregnant women.
- Whilst every effort is made to accommodate those with a disability or learning difficulty, due to practicality and health and safety this cannot always be achieved; please contact us for advice before purchasing.
- Please read our full terms and conditions. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and when the zoo reopens we shall be in touch, how long this will be for, we simply don’t know, but we really hope closing the zoo plays a part in slowing the spread of this awful virus.
Photo credit: Niomi Parsons (lemur) and Thomas Woodward (lion), taken during our 2019 advanced photography course held at Chester Zoo.