Mr George Mottershead registered the business as a non-profit making company to be run as a charitable educational institution. On the 9th of May 1934 the North of England Zoological Society was created and a council of elected members formed to help advise and guide the zoo in the right direction for the future. The zoo extended its field as a scientific and educational society to the whole of the North of England. A membership scheme was also launched. In the first year there were 155 members whose subscriptions totaled two hundred and sixteen pounds!