In 1934 the zoo made an impressive addition to its outstanding attractions when it started building an aquarium, which was built in the basement of Oakfield House. Installed beneath Oakfield House were six cold-water tanks. The new building was opened by Lady Daresbury and included a number of rare species in the excellent collection. June Williams (George and Elizabeth Mottershead’s daughter) was tasked with presenting Lady Daresbury with a basket of flowers to officially mark the opening. Lady Daresbury, at the time, commented: “The aquarium would add facilities to study the habits and to watch the development of fish.” And in conclusion she made an appeal for increased membership.