This area of our work focusses on schools which face barriers to engaging with Chester Zoo.
The criteria for schools being eligible for this service is that they have a high percentage of students receiving free school meals (32% or higher), and that they are within 60 minutes’ drive time from Chester Zoo. Following this schools will be prioritised by those which have not previously visited/been visited by Chester Zoo or have not visited for a long time. This project approach aims to inspire and enable conservation action through multiple workshops with a common theme.
The delivery offer includes:
- Kickstarter meeting to introduce the school staff to the project, additional FREE learning resources that we have on offer, and ideas for how the teachers can make this a cross-curricular project for all year groups.
- Between two and four Safari Ranger led interactive workshops in the school setting for each class.
- A visit to Chester Zoo including teaching and activities led by the wider Chester Zoo education team.
- Creative work to enable reflection and recording of learning.
- An event or display within school to enable sharing of learning with wider school community.