In September 2017 we launched an ambitious, major new conservation campaign to make Chester the first city in the world to source its palm oil from entirely sustainable sources.
We wanted to do something innovative; something game-changing; something that could have a significant impact on shaping the future of our planet. We wanted Chester to lead the way on an issue that’s vitally important to the long-term survival of many iconic species.
We did it – Chester is the world’s first Sustainable Palm Oil City!
THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN INCREASING DEMAND FOR SUSTAINABLE PALM OIL.
We achieved Sustainable Palm Oil City status by getting representation from key organisations across Chester. All of our champions took steps to put in place a sustainable palm oil policy, switching products from unsustainable sources to sustainable ones and some went even further. We’ve achieved 5 stars and can proudly say we’ve achieved Sustainable Palm Oil City Status:
- Star 1 – 25 Restaurants, cafes, hotels and fast food outlets (including fish and chip shops)
- Star 2 – 5 Workplaces that offer staff catering services
- Star 3 – 2 of 5 Schools (local authority, catering provider for the majority of schools or consortium of schools), Colleges, Universities, council food outlets (a key catering provider to a large proportion of council outlets) and hospitals (key catering provider).
- Star 4 – 3 Visitor attractions or leisure facilities (zoo, aquarium, football club, gym)
- Star 5 – 3 Manufacturers or retailers based in the city
Achieving this goal is just the start of the journey. Our aim is for every organisation in Chester to join us!
CASE STUDY: CHEF’S TABLE
Meet one of our passionate palm oil champions, and find out how and why they got involved in our Sustainable Palm Oil City Project.
JOIN OUR WALL OF CHAMPIONS!
Want to become a Sustainable Palm Oil champion and empower your community to make a difference?
- Orangutan Land Trust
- Sumatran Orangutan Society
- Chez Jules
For their ongoing support in the delivery and the ongoing development of the Sustainable Palm Oil City project.
Our Advisors and experts:
- Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)
- Sustain: The Alliance for Better Food and Farming
- Murdoch Associates
- New Britain Palm Oil
- Experts in Sustainable Forest & Agricultural Advice (EFECA)
Who have provided invaluable knowledge and experience to inform the development and implementation of the Sustainable Palm Oil City project and are supporting us to spread the word.
Our conservation colleagues:
- Borneo Futures
- British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums
Who have endorsed the Sustainable Palm Oil City initiative and are supporting us to spread the word.