This two day course has been developed by specialists at Chester Zoo and RECORD to introduce you to the surveying of small UK mammals.
We’ll introduce you to the follow aspects of conducting practical small mammal trapping surveys in the UK:
- Current status of these species
- Ecology of mice, vole and shrews
- UK Legislation, ethics and welfare
- Practical capture and release small mammal trapping
- Handling, weighing and sexing of small mammals
- Survey data and using your local environmental records centre
Key points to note:
Due to the nature of this course only limited spaces available.
This is an ecology course and you will therefore be working with native wild small mammals on our estate.
This course includes significant practical small mammal trapping survey training and therefore you will need to be prepared for different weather conditions and be able to walk across different terrain types.
PPE will be provided when handling any wild species caught during the course.
Lunch is provided on both days.
Day 2 will have an early start to the day of 7am.
If you have any queries about the course please contact email@example.com for more information.