As a charity, volunteers provide vital support to the life of the zoo. Chester Zoo’s award-winning volunteers complement paid staff’s work and contribute to our success by supporting the zoo’s education, scientific and conservation mission.
Volunteers provide thousands of hours between them to support the work of Chester Zoo. We are supported by up 250 volunteers every year; they play a crucial role in providing an all-round excellent visitor experience. Chester Zoo volunteers are passionate people dedicated to engaging visitors in amazing educational experiences and raising funds for our vital conservation work.
Through volunteering with Chester Zoo, volunteers can meet new people, work on new challenges, have fun, support others, benefit from training, enhance their wellbeing and gain experience and skills for potential employment and self-development.
Volunteers are primarily involved in customer service, educational and fundraising roles. And just so you know, we don’t have any animal section volunteer roles.
Who are we looking for?
- Friendly and confident people who are comfortable speaking to guests of all ages
- We’re not looking for experts, just a passion for wildlife and conservation, and of course, people!
- We want people who are flexible and enjoy learning new things.
- Happy being outside in all weathers!
- Reliability and regular attendance